Thursday, January 17, 2008

What Is the Mark of a Good Friend?

this is one question I have been pondering for quite some time..

I have a clique of 4 really close friends - 4 of us do everything together - have dinner, share boyfriend tales - hell we even have a boyfriend approval system. However, there are definitely times when arguments and disagreements arise regarding certain issues and it certainly spoils our camaraderie for a while.

For instance:
One of my girlfriend loves to go out with bad boys. She knows she will get hurt ultimately, but she cannot help falling for him. One of my other friend will be very angry at her and resort to not talking to her because she cares too much for her to see her get hurt.

Another of my friend holds this mentality: I do not care what you do, I just want you to be happy. If you get hurt, I will be there for you to pick you up.

Both have great intentions, but both have different ways of expressing their care & concern.



This makes me wonder: What is the mark of a good friend?

How should a good or even best friend act? On one hand, it is good to stop a friend you care about if you know she is going to do something stupid and silly. But if she refuses to listen and chooses to go with her feeling, should we then get angry with her because she did not listen? Should we give ultimatums like "If you do this, I'm not going to be friends with you?"

I think we all have to work on maintaining a long and strong friendship. No one is absolutely correct. Thus, if we allow small conflicts to weaken the friendship, we have to continuously make new friends because we break off ties with our old ones! Compromise & empathy - could just be the way to a great friendship. Compromise when views and ideals clash, empathise and put yourself in another's shoes to try to understand her point of view. Many a times when we let anger get the better of ourselves, friendships get ruined.

Another thing: Once you have promised your friend something, honour it. This is the basis of a strong friendship - knowing that you can always rely on a friend.

No comments: