Monday, January 14, 2008

Being Kind-Hearted - Good or Bad?

I have always stuck by this principle: help others as much as you can - as long as you can. Thus, many a times when people ask me for help - i make sure i do whatever I can. This applies in all aspects of my life - towards my friends, family as well as colleagues.



however, there are many times when I have helped others, and in times of need when i turn to these people, they have shunned away from me. Or, when i have helped them when they are in dire straits and after that they do not seem to appreciate and begin to hurt you in ways like backstabbing etcetc. these instances always make me feel hurt and sad.

It makes me ponder sometimes: Whats the point of helping when we always seem to be at the losing end?

Many people have advised: Life's like that - do not expect anything in return. People will make use of you as long as they can, thus the best way out is to not help anyone at all. Or - Help only if it benefits me.

Isnt helpfulness a virtue? When has it became a weakness? I was reading a fengsuhi article one day and it was talking about prosperity and wealth. It mentioned: " To receive prosperity and wealth, you have to give. Only when you give will wealth and prosperity come to you"

I attended church last Sunday and my pastor spoke: How many a times do we encounter a sick friend and only wish them well wishes, when we can offer more? We could have helped by buying food, giving them strepsils if he's having a sore throat etc etc. Yes, sincere well wishes are comforting, but they do nothing to soothe the pain our sick friend is facing.

Ultimately, we have ourselves to answer to. Yes we may get cheated, yes we may be made use of, but at the end of the day we can at least tell ourselves " Hey, I've done the best I can "

Do share your opinions by commenting. Hear from you soon!

No comments: